Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Visit from Anthony

I wanted to have a nap this afternoon, but now I can’t. I have to clean up my house because Anthony is coming. I’ve never met Anthony but everyone’s talking about him today. And he’s going to turn up at about 5 am on Monday morning. Or is he? He’s like those people that promise for weeks they’re coming to that thing you organised, and don’t bother showing up in the end. All that anticipation, all that stress, all that work, for nothing. But I’ll try not to hold it against Anthony if he changes his mind because Anthony is a Tropical Cyclone: 

www.bom.gov.au/qld/


Earlier projections had Anthony crossing the coast somewhere between Ayr and Bowen, but he seems to be tracking slightly more to the north than expected. I keep having flashbacks to that old South Park episode: Oh my God! It's coming right for us! A lot can change in thirty-six hours, and hopefully will, but this is life in the tropics in cyclone season: Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.


So this afternoon after work, instead of falling face-down onto my mattress like a drunk, I’ll be tying down everything that isn’t tied down, checking the yard for hazards, and transferring everything from my outdoor laundry up the stairs and into the study. The dog will be nervous. The cats will be suspicious. The frogs and geckoes will be scarce. The possums, hopefully, won’t see it coming and will be killed.

So if I don’t blog for a few days it will mean one of two things:
  1. Anthony hit Townsville, and the power is still out. With any luck the roof is still on.
  2. I’ve become so depressed by all the garden junk cluttering up my study that I can’t go near the computer.

I’m hoping for the second one!  

2 comments:

  1. OMG--I hate possums, too! Except for Pogo. Pogo Possum is okay. Real possums, though, are NOT cute and NOT cuddly. They have long, naked tales and long, naked snouts full of sharp sharp teeth and they'd just as soon bite you as iron your shirt.

    I hope Anthony misses you and all you love, and sucks up all the possums and drops them on mean people.

    Marian Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marian! Although, my relationship with possums is becoming more complicated. On one hand I hate them and want them to die, but on the other hand I still leave bread out for them because I feel mean for evicting them!

    Fingers crossed on the cyclone...looks like it may miss Townsville after all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...