Thursday, April 28, 2011

What is the best thing about being a writer?

What is the best thing about being a writer?

One day I hope the answer to this question will be power, influence and riches beyond my wildest imagination. Meanwhile, back in the real world…

There are lots of reasons I love writing. I’ve previously talked about the fact that it’s free therapy and drug use all at once. It’s all of those things and more. I love creating worlds and characters. I love pushing them into conflict just to see what will happen. Hell, I’m a sadist. I even love physically torturing them. Well, just that one time, and I did feel kind of bad afterwards. For a bit. I only made it hurt for realism, you understand. It’s not like I let him die…although that might have been the kindest thing. Anyway, there’s no point in being a god unless you’re a vengeful god, right? I smite because I care.

But the thing I like best about writing is the fact that I am never bored.

Never.



There’s always some idea rattling around in my head that I can explore to take my mind off the fact that I’m waiting in a doctor’s office, or in the line at the supermarket, or trying my best to look attentive at work. My omnipotent god powers have carried over into real life -- I have the ability to miraculously transform the mind-numbingly boring moments of my life into something creative and wonderful.

When I was little my grandmother gave me a mug. It said: To know is nothing at all. To imagine is everything.

What’s the thing you love most about being a writer? 

15 comments:

  1. Well, it *used* to be the cache of people assuming all writers were brilliant intellectuals who spent their afternoons sitting in artsy cafes, dressed all in black, thinking very deep thoughts while rubbing our chins and furrowing our brows.

    Now people assume I started writing after seeing the most recent Twilight or Harry Potter movie.

    So much for my intellectual capital. I didn't even get to cash in on it.

    I guess I will have to settle for fortune and the adoration of the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the highs of an excellent writing session or some killer feedback, but what I most like about writing is the productivity. It's snail-paced productivity, it's the least efficient factory on earth, but a day that includes a moment of writing can never be considered a wasted day (and I hate/chronically suffer from wasted days.)

    There is a great quote, but I can't remember the wording or who said it. It's something like:

    To day my house burnt down, my wife left me, the cat ran over the dog, and all my hair fell out. Wrote ten pages. A good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part right now is same as yours - I'm never bored. And I particularly resonate with looking attentive at work :D I'm in love with creating, meeting new characters, and seeing a new world the first time through their eyes.

    It's so important to remember why we love writing...especially when power, influence, and riches may never come from it!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I’m most thankful for is that as both a drug habit and an art form, it’s absolutely inexpensive to partake in.

    It can also be done almost anywhere, heightens your appreciation of good writing, and you get to meet lots of interesting people (some of them even real).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the part where someone tells me they love something I've written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha Margo, she's like my evil, cooler twin.

    There are lots of thngs I love about writing, but right now I'm loving the community of writers I get to hang out with. They are so smart and wonderful! And I love that when we all come together for a cause we are a serious force of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Margo, I totally fill that stereotype. As I type this, I am sitting in a trendy coffee shop, wearing black and thoughtfully rubbing my chin while I sip my french press coffee (ok, the coffee part was the only true statement there).

    My favorite part of writing is that anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margo and Akari,

    Let's reinvent that stereotype! I'll get the black turtlenecks, you guys get the Absinthe, and we'll meet in a coffee shop on the left bank of the Seine, smoke cigarettes, start revolutions, and talk about the bleakness of existence!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ben, I love that quote! No, we're not self-absorbed at all, are we?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed, Barbara! I often wonder how non-writers get through the day. I mean, do they actually concentrate on work? Surely that's not possible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. MC, so true! There aren't many other addictions you can fall headfirst into for the cost of a notebook and pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah, that is also a great thing about writing -- validation. There's nothing quite as warm and fuzzy as when someone actually likes what you've written, and begins to look at you like this whole writing thing might not be totally crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sommer Leigh,

    I'm looking forward to Wicked Tricksy, particularly if you're highlighting the online writing community. Nobody can write in a vacuum after all, and it sure beats the old days where you had to starve alone in a garrett! I was never sure what a garrett was anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Jen

    Yes! That's sounds fabulous! I mean, I don't know. With this oppressive weight of the world on my shoulders, I don't think I can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So true, Akari. I myself am so world-weary that I can barely summon up the strength to sneer at the bourgeoisie.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...