Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cool Blogger Award




Thanks to Teralyn at A Writer's Journey (an awesome blog!) for giving me a Cool Blogger award. So now I have to tell you one cool thing about myself. And that is...um...

Okay, I don't know if this is cool, but it's certainly weird. I have been in a proper Turkish bathhouse, in Selçuk, Turkey. Naked, with strangers. And lying on a big stone slab. Naked, with strangers. And then a Turkish man scrubbed me with a loofah and attempted to make conversation. 

"You are Australian?" he said, reaching for places I'd usually only let someone with a medical degree inspect. 

"Yes," I squeaked. 

"Ah," he said with a knowledgeable nod. "Yes, you are very dirty." 

And who would have thought that situation could get any more awkward? 

(And in my defence I was backpacking at the time, and I hadn't had a decent shower in ages, and you never realise before getting into a sauna/steam room/Turkish baths just how much grime is going to come out of your pores.)




And I'd like to share the love by pointing you all towards Mooderino at Moody Writing. Mood has some great posts about structure and craft. 

And I am also now on Twitter. Scary, no? Well, I'm scared. Not Turkish bathhouse scared ...but close. So if you're on Twitter as well, and I'm not following you yet, leave your username in the comments and I'll get right on that. You probably won't hear much from me, because I am easily confused by hash tags, tiny urls, and many, many other things. But I'll muddle my way through!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the big-up, Jen, very kind of you. I just joined twitter too. I have no idea what you're suppposed to say on there either.
    @mooderino

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Turkish Bath sounds like it'd be really cold. Just hanging out in a damp steamy room without towels. But I'm guessing its way better than the sauna rooms you'd find in hotels.

    Yay for joining the twitter party! Twitter is one of those things once you get the hang of it you forget that it was ever scary or overwhelming.

    @stphschmidt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I'm not in this alone, Mood! And I hope Steph's right and I figure out what the hell I'm doing.

    And Steph, the Turkish bathhouse wasn't cold. It was full of hot steam. It was like being in a massive sauna. Naked, with strangers. I mentioned that part, right? Because it was all I could think of at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a Turkish bathhouse story? That's hilarious.

    And I have no idea what to do with the Twitter either. So I don't. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, LG! I think everyone should have at least one awkward story to share. That one's mine. All the rest will remain secret!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to do a naked Turkish bath house, but only on Ladies Only days. My mom did that once.

    There's something I've always wondered about that sort of thing (and you can delete this if it's too awkward, no hard feelings.)

    If a guy sees a naked woman at the bath house and thinks she's very attractive, wouldn't everyone... you know... notice? Was that... a problem? Because that would take the discomfort to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Teralyn! It was quite a weird experience, but fortunately there was so much steam in the place that it was easy to avoid staring. And the locals didn't seem to have the modesty issue. It was probably us tourists who were the only ones secretly freaking out. Also, it's amazing what one little washcloth can cover up when you need it to!

    So, short answer: I don't know. I was too afraid to look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wondered what a bath house was like. Dunno about the strangers bit! :P Congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Alleged Author! It was an interesting experience, that's for sure. I kept two thoughts in my head the whole time:
    1. Nobody knows you here.
    2. When will you get the chance to try this again?
    I get through a lot of life's challenges by using those two motivators!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Yes, you are very dirty." Bwahahaha.

    Happy you're joining Twitter! I'm Girl___Friday (three underscores) there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will see you on Twitter, Girl Friday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...