Friday, May 20, 2011

Eurovision... (I'm so ashamed)

For anyone who thinks that Europeans are cool, sophisticated and cultured, I give you the ultimate counter-argument... Eurovision. The Eurovision Song Contest is so bad that it's good. So, very, very bad that it's good. For me it's not about who wins or loses, it's about who was the weirdest. And this year that came down to Ireland and Moldova. Identical Christmas elves on crack, or unicyling garden gnomes. On crack. 

Anyway, this year Eurovision surprised me. Check out the entertainment they put on stage when the voting was being tallied during the semi-finals: Breakdancing meets Bach. And yes, you'd think that would easily fall into the "So bad it's good" category, but it doesn't. Because these guys are actually good. 



They are called the Flying Steps, and they're performing to Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

And here are some images that will stick to the walls of your brain and infect your nightmares with giggles:
Jedward from Ireland.


Zdob & Zdub from Moldova. 

 And, for the record, both Ireland and Moldova were robbed.

So, what are you guilty pleasures?

13 comments:

  1. This post is HILARIOUS to me. See, I have XM radio in my car so when I was driving 4.5 hrs to and from the half marathon, I spent most of my time on the BBC Radio 1 station. They were talking about this group from Ireland and the other from Moldova. I couldn't figure out what exactly they were talking about, BUT KNOW I KNOW!!! HAHAHA! My worlds just collided and I love it. These photos a fascinating in a horrifying sort of way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tl, I'm glad I helped your worlds collide! Seriously, you have to check them out on Youtube. They are both hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed it this year and now I see the pic of Moldova I has a sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Girl Friday! I was just over commenting on your blog! Jinx!

    I am sorry for your sad. To turn it into a happy, go to Youtube!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I can only think of two occasions when the Urination Song Contest was cool: the year Abba won in the Seventies, and the year Riverdance were the interval act. Although it has got slicker over the years. I remember the early days of voting committees and Katie Boyle. Not to mention Monty Python's Bing Tiddle Tiddle Bong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL8XYBo2gPQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had forgotten Bing Tiddle Tiddle Bong! And the sad this is, it could totally win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! I was on Twitter the other night reading author Maureen Johnson tweeting about Eurovision as she watched it. It was fascinating because I had no idea what she was talking about. IT SUDDENLY ALL MAKES SENSE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so funny! Thanks for the laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those guys are good!
    *youtubing crazy crack elves/gnomes*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for explaining it to me. I skipped over the post below a while back, but just went back and read it after seeing you give the show a thumbs-up.

    There's no Moldova, but plenty of clips from past years.

    http://popdose.com/eurovision-song-contest-2011-preview/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, guys!

    Steve, Eurovision has to be seen to be believed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. but, Jen, Eurovision is not just trash (although those Irish brats are as trashy as it gets), it has angelic and elven moments as well, like this one from Serbia a few year ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByJ3eeBsktw&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi DEZMOND! I checked out your link, and that really is a beautiful song. I think that I just enjoy Eurovision for the trashier elements. If I watched it hoping the most talented people would win, I'd be disappointed every year, so I just end up barracking for the weirdest instead.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...