Saturday, May 28, 2011

Versatile as well!

L.G. Smith at the fantastic Bards and Prophets has given me a lovely Versatile Blogger Award. Hooray! 



Now, the original rules are these: 
1. Thank and link to the person who nominated you.
2. Share seven random facts about yourself.
3. Pass the award along to 0 - 100 deserving blogging buddies.
4. Contact those buddies to congratulate them



But I'm going with the alternative rules that L.G. used. I am posting the first and last lines of the first five chapters of my novel. It's called Sub Rosa, it's a murder mystery, and it's set in Rome in A.D. 64. Or is it A.D. 63? This is the WIP I'm on a break from, and apparently I've forgotten a lot about it... but it does pay to remember that the narrator is often drunk. Anyhoo! 


Chapter 1: 
First sentence: If I’d expected the women of my household to greet me at the door with a cup of Falernian, a dish of nuts and a cloth with which to mop my troubled brow, I was out of luck.

Last sentence: I pulled a face at Octavia, instructed her grimly to replace Cicero when she was finished with him, and went inside to face my greatest fear.

Chapter 2: 
First sentence: Julia Drusilla had the fortune to have inherited her mother’s looks, and the misfortune to have inherited her father’s personality.

Last sentence: Please, please, please let him have heard.

Chapter 3: 
First sentence: An invitation to dinner meant another visit to Fish Alley for a shave.

Last sentence: I had slipped in his blood.

Chapter 4
First sentence: The ancients teach us that each person has a star in the heavens that shines bright in their ascendancy, and dims in times of personal and public decline.

Last sentence: There is nothing sweeter than Fulvia’s sympathy.

Chapter 5
First sentence: Mad Uncle Maro was the first to turn up on my doorstep the next morning to congratulate me on attending the most talked about banquet in months.

Last sentence: As she began to recite her increasingly irrational litany of woes, I smiled benignly at her and waited for Fulvia to come and rescue me.


And I'm passing this award on to Teralyn from A Writer's Journey because her blog is great, and she shares my love of ancient Rome! 

And also to Girl Friday at Reading, Writing and Ribaldry because she shares my love of alcohol. 

And T.L. Conway at T.L. Conway writes here who just shares the love! 


9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mood! He is old, obsessed with home renovations, and has hair growing out of his ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm intrigued for sure. I especially liked the start of chapter four, and your humor comes through at the start of chapter two. :)

    Well done. Get back to work on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I especially like your Ch. 1 opening line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, LG! There is a bit of pondering the nature of existence at the beginning of Chapter 4, but by the end of it he's peevish and hungover again.

    Thanks, Margo. I kept telling myself not to start the whole thing with "If" but it seemed to work okay in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh drunken philosophical Romans - sounds brilliant, I want!

    And thank you so much for the award, very flattered :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen! I'm so flattered, thank you!

    I agree with Margo--that opening line is Awesome. I love the idea that the MC/narrator is usually drunk. The more I think about it, the more difficult that seems it would be to continue. I'd slip out of character trying to write it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your award. Versatile is a good quality!

    ReplyDelete
  8. TL, the secret is to write with wine! I'm all about the authenticity!


    Thanks, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...