Saturday, July 2, 2011

Massive Genre Shift

Okay, so those of you who read my blog know my (literally) dirty secret: I’m getting a book published in July**, under a pseudonym, that could be called a romance. But won’t be. It’s actually smut. And I’m okay with that. Apart from the fits of giggling. 

Anyhoo.

So I’ve got a few ideas for other romances that I might work on, including one that made it as far as 56000 words before it suddenly occurred to me: This will work so much better as dystopian YA spec fic.

And this feels Wrong. Yep, you read it: Wrong with a capital W.

Because, although it will work better as dystopian YA spec fic -- hell, what wouldn’t? -- I’m a little bit concerned that I won’t be able to entirely erase its murky origins. I mean, it’s all very well to lower the characters' ages, to adapt their voices and to tone down the romance, but it still feels Wrong.



And I think it's because however much I change it, however much it evolves, a part of me will always know exactly what happened in the shower. And how much fun it was.

** Holy hell! I've just realised that it's July NOW! Prepare for incoming giggling fit!


8 comments:

  1. Sometimes feeling wrong can be oh so right. If you'll excuse me I'm off to the shower.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it! If there’s some words you can’t use, just put in “possum” instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mood! You make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, then I'm worried it would be a heck of a lot more Wrong! I already hate possums. Don't make me hate...um...you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! It's July. Book release time. Congratulations!!

    And, uh, what happens in the shower can stay in the shower, can't it?

    Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, LG!

    Yeah, what happens in the shower can stay in the shower...I'll just try to forget it happened!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! That sounds very interesting! Wow, big change. Romance to YA. Hmm ... you sure?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jessica! No, I'm not exactly sure, but that's never stopped me before!

    And so far I'm liking this story a lot more as YA. So that has to be a good sign!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...