Thursday, July 28, 2011

Plotting is tricky (Also, awards! Yay!)

I think I might finally be getting the hang of this plotting thing. Except now my wall looks like this:



And there is more to come. Still, at least it's out in the open instead of stewing inside my head where it would have got lost amid all those things that lurk in there, like old episodes of True Blood, gingerbread recipes, dreams about being a train robber, and trying to remember peoples' names.

In happy - yay! - news, Brit over at Pages and Stardust has given me a blog award. Thanks, Brit!



The goal of the award is to spotlight up and coming bloggers who currently have less than 200 followers. The rules of the award are:

1. Thank the giver and link back to the blogger who gave it to you.
2. Reveal your top 5 picks and let them know by leaving a comment on their blog.
3. Copy and paste the award on your blog.
4. Have faith that your followers will spread the love to other bloggers.
5. And most of all - have bloggity-blog fun!


So guys, if you haven't already, please check out:

1. Magpie at Magpie Writes. This is a fun blog! Check it out!

2. LG at Bards and Prophets, because we're going to haunt a Portuguese bookshop together.

3. Hektor over at After Troy. Seriously, there is always an interesting and informative discussion going on over there!

4. Miss Cole at Miss Cole Seeks Publisher. It's funny stuff, and inspiring as well!

5. Girl Friday at Reading, Writing and Ribaldry, and not just because we share a love of alcohol. No, there are other reasons too. Really!

19 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jen! For both the award and for the comments that help drive the "interesting and informative discussion." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've lost you to the dark side of the plotters. Next you'll be using templates. *wipes away a tear*

    Thanks for the award. Still sewing my phantom cape. Almost done. Now I just need to book airfare to Porto, Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya, Jen. If the wall gets unmanageable, try the same thing in Excel. I know there is a computer program where the notes actually look like sticky notes, but I never saw the point of paying for and learning new software that just took what I was already doing in Excel and made it look like sticky notes.

    Scrivener might be a good organizational tool for you. I haven't used it much, because it was origainlly a Mac tool, but I hear they have a Windows version now too.

    And over at Wicked & Tricksy today, Claudie blogged about some kind of Wiki tool that sounds FABulous. I have to check that one out.

    No, I'm not trying to drag you farther into the dark world of plotting...really. Trust me. >:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Next you'll be using templates."

    Hey, watch it. I resemble that remark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, I *love* the little piece of paper on the bottom right about raising the stakes. I have more pages with notes on how to raise the stakes than I do plotting pages!

    How big are those post-its you're using? It looks like it's taking an entire wall, is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photo with your notes. I had a wall like that, too. And will again when I'm reading to get into plotting instead of editing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LG, I don't think you'll ever lose me entirely. I mean, I wrote out some sticky notes, but I still haven't filled out the character sheets I did weeks ago. A part of me will always be a pantser -- the same part of me that procrastinates endlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margo, I thought of you while I was sticking notes to my wall, seriously! I thought, "I'll bet Margo does this sort of thing!".

    I don't think Im up for Scrivener. I have heard some great things about it, but I think I'm quite a tactile person so I need physical notes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi TL! I found some massive post-it notes, with lines on them and everything, so of course I had to buy them! They are about twice the size of regular post-its. The wall is fairly small to begin with though!

    The "Raising the Stakes" note is there so I can keep being sadistic to my characters. They think they're winning, and I knock them down again. I am a vengeful god!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna,

    It's not neat, and my houseguest this weekend might think I'm a bit strange, but it's surprising how much a few brightly-coloured sticky notes can clarify things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love post it notes...and old episodes of True Blood. Almost as much as new episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, Jennifer!

    I was forwarded this award from LG. That's how I found you. So I'm a new follower now and relatively new at this bloggy thing. I'd love to have you on over to my place sometime, too.

    Good job on getting the plotting thing rolling. That's a hard one, I know.

    I'm a writer, too. My genre is thrillers. It'll be nice to get to know you better. And oooh, I see you're an Aussie. My protag is an Aussie! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Marsha! Oh yes, post-it notes and True Blood - bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nancy, thanks for following! Aussies make the best protagonists :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh! Colourful post-its! I love it. That's a very brave move from a self-confessed pantser.

    I've been writing a whole series of posts on writing tools, the main theme has been when and why to "tool up". The last few posts in particular have talked about the different approaches taken by plotters and pantsers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Botanist! It's a huge step for me! I will definitely check out your posts on writing tools.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with Margo. I use Excel. I tried using the wall in my hall, but it wasn't nearly wide enough. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. JJ, I'm intending on papering the entire house with post-it notes! If I used a computer, it would give me an excuse not to look at it. I'm an expert procrastinator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...