Monday, August 15, 2011

What is Voice?

Voice is tone.

Voice is personality - if not yours, then your narrator’s or your POV character’s.

Voice can’t be learned, but it can be refined. The more you write, the clearer it will become.

Voice is filled with bias and nuance.

Voice is colourful.

Voice is what makes your story different from mine when we are describing the same incident.

Write until you find it, because voice is what makes you unique.


And speaking of voices, here is one I could listen to all day:


Go forth and be gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely! 

11 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I LOVE Stephen Fry, and this is why. <3 Although, really, moist? XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan as well, Claudie! I agree -- moist? But he says it so sweetly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tremulously at first, and then with mounting heat and passion, I BELIEVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that video. A Bit of Fry and Laurie is the best. :)

    Honestly, I think people have it wrong when they talk about "finding" your voice. I don't think it's something you have to find. I think it's something you just have to stop repressing. Because voice isn't anything special, at least to the author's ears. It's simply the way you naturally write. To ourselves, it's normal and bland and bad because we're too used to how we think and talk and write everyday. But to others it's unique and special.

    So don't go trying to find your voice. Just embrace the voice you already have. Those are my words of wisdom for the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice -- the more you write and improve, the more your voice will be evident.

    It can't be forced, it has to evolve. Confidence in your work will help. Being true to how you want to tell the story, even if it conflicts with the ongoing wisdom, is a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ MC, you walk in a lightly scented cloud of gorgeousness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, agreed! Your voice is something you already have, you just need to give it some practice.

    @ DG, thanks! I think all writing advice can be summed up with "Just keep writing!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, I'm with you. He needs to be in my head all day:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could listen to Stephen Fry for the rest of my life, and never get bored!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is so cool! LOVE the video :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...