Friday, December 16, 2011

7x7 - with a twist

Yay! I have been given the 7x7 Link Award again, this time by Marian Allen. Thanks, Marian!

For those who don't know, you are to link to the following: 

- Your most beautiful post
– Your most popular post
– Your most controversial post
– Your most helpful post
– A post whose success surprised you
– A post you feel didn’t get the attention it deserved

– The post that you are most proud of

Because I did this one quite recently, the answers haven’t actually changed. Here they are again. 


So instead of just reposting them here, I thought I’d bend the rules and do something different. Instead of telling you about 7 of my posts, I thought I’d tell you about 7 things that I’ve discovered that I love.

1. Tiddly Wiki. Claudie got me onto this. It’s like a tiny personal Wikipedia for your WIP. Really, it’s a godsend for people like me who believe they can remember every character’s name, date of birth, and third aunt removed, and then find out weeks later in editing that they don’t even know who the hell this character is. Tiddly Wiki is fabulous for creating your story Bible. A word of caution though -- it is way too easy to spend so much time creating and linking entries that you forget you were supposed to be writing that novel in the first place.

2. Edit Minion.Everyone wants a minion, right? This minion will help you find weak words, passive voice, often misspelled words and more. 

3. Wordle. I love making word clouds or, as I’ve discovered they are called, wordles. Not only do they look pretty, but they show you what words you overuse and how prominent your characters and themes are. (If you are writing steamy romance though, do not do this. The results will only scare you.)

4. Free personality tests like this one at HumanMetrics.I love to answer these in character and let the crazy shine through. It’s fun, and it just might just give you a little more insight into your characters. Or pause for thought about your own mental stability.

5. Can't get a fix on your character's physicality? Try sites like this one, where you can search for faces based on age, sex, height and more. 

6. Scrivener. No joke, if you're not on the Scrivener band wagon yet, let me help you up! It's fantastic, it's cheap, and it's available on Mac and PC. Just download the free trial, and I promise you, you'll fall in love. 

7. Dictionary.com. Nuff said.

***

What are you packing in your writing arsenal? 


10 comments:

  1. I've started using Scrivener for Windows and am finding it amazingly useful. I'd recommend it too.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone keeps telling me how great Scrivener is. One of these days I'm gonna try it out. Thanks for the links to the other sites, too. Some of those I could really use.

    Congrats on the 7X7!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for those useful links, Jen. I did the Jung test again, and I'm INTJ as usual... the same as Jane Austen and Mr Darcy :-)

    I've just tried Edit Minion for the first time, and I think it will be quite helpful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all those links - I'll check them out. I have just discovered Scrivener (still on 30 day free trial) and definitely want the real thing, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, guys.

    I think the thing with Scrivener is that yeah, you're doing okay with Word or whatever you're using, and you're used to it and it's fine...and then you use Scrivener and it's: "OMG, this is how it should be!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bit late in commenting, but what do you expect when you post so many great links? My INFP Wordle crazy has been shining through all over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand MC! I could spend all day on Wurdle alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't tried Scrivener and I swear, I keep meaning to! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, editing minion! <3 <3 <3 This little guy is fantastic! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Lindsay!
    Claudie, since you led me to TiddlyWiki, we'll call it even!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...