Thursday, February 9, 2012

Everything Counts

Do you know the best thing about being a writer?
Nothing that happens in your life is redundant.


Source

Boring queue? That’s imagination time. That’s description time. That’s figuring-out-how-to-write-a-scene-set-in-a-boring-queue time.

Boring job? That’s even better. That way, when you’re planning your next exciting plot point, choreographing that awesome fight scene, or wondering if you really need that supporting character, your boss is paying for it.

Other people waste hours on the internet looking up useless stuff. Nothing you look at is useless. Everything is research.

I’m not sure how I got started on my internet investigation of Spiritualism in the 1920s, but three hours later I was wondering if I could whip up some ectoplasm with eggwhites and cheesecloth. And oh yes, there are the bare bones of a story in the back of my mind.

Because everything counts.

Nothing is pointless. Nothing is meaningless. Everything we experience can be recycled into fiction.

We’re not scavengers. We’re bowerbirds. We make treasure out of the things that other people throw away -- moments, memories, and conversations that trail off into the air. We salvage those, reshape them.

Everything counts.

What do you like best about being a writer?

14 comments:

  1. Queues are definitely perfect daydream places.

    My favourite part of being a writer? Creating my own world ^_^

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Cole, creating new worlds is like the icing on the cake! It's nice, isn't it, to have a place to go when you're stuck in a queue? :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post. You've made me grateful to be a writer, even if sometimes I wonder what the hell I'm thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Emily!

      I think we all wonder what the hell we're thinking at times, and sometimes we need to remember to focus on the positive.

      Delete
  3. What you said. I never waste time, right? I'm always working. :) The biggest compliment I ever got as a writing teacher was on an exit survey, when one of the students said, "After this class, I agree with you--EVERYTHING is about writing."

    Marian Allen
    Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! Everything is about writing! And how great is that?

      Delete
  4. Beautiful point about the bowerbirds. And I choose to believe you. I have pages and pages of bookmarked sites waiting for me to make something pretty out of them with words. I really do spend too much time on the internet, but it's all research!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely it's all research!
      So many inspirational things in the world, as long as you look for them.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely idea. We need to remember that even heartbreak and tragedy can feed into our creativity.

    My favourite part is when all the dots join together - when two seemingly unrelated things smack together in your mind and create a fabulous idea. That and the actual writing of course ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love those sudden eureka moments. Even when we're not consciously planning, our brains are working away, looking for patterns and fitting the pieces together.

      Delete
  6. I like it when I get pissed off and channel all that energy into my work by picking out a scene where someone's angry and really letting them loose. I get to unload all the frustration and cussing, and yet no one gets hurt but my keyboard.

    I'm a bowerbird Buddha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bowerbird Buddha - sounds like a anime hero. Are there franchising opportunities available?

      And oh yeah, writing is also the best therapy out there!

      Delete
  7. I love making things happen how they should happen, not how they probably would if it were real life :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, that is hugely satisfying!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...