Friday, February 17, 2012

I am a Smart Cookie

So, tonight when I was plugging in my laptop at work, in the deep dark cavity of power cords and hard drives and things that make buzzing noises, I suddenly had visions of my weeping co-workers saying over their tissues: “At least she died trying to do what she loved.”

And that’s not good enough.

If I’m electrocuted at work, I want it to be actually writing, not talking about writing or thinking about writing, which is what I’ve done lately, or even writing about writing, which is kind of what this blog is.It’s time to actually get to the writing.

I know. Revolutionary, hey?

I’m not the sort of person who believes I’m being held back by my innate fear of success -- I believe what’s holding me back is my innate all-encompassing laziness combined with my well-honed procrastinator’s “Meh, I’ll do it later” attitude -- but whatever it is, it’s time to look it in the face.

And then punch it in the face.

That may be the sleep-deprivation talking.

In other news, Rebecca Kiel has given me a Smart Cookie Award. 




I am going to pass it onto these people:

Francesca from Zap's Lobster Tank.
Misty from Nothing Cannot Happen Today. If you haven’t read Cornerstone yet, what are you waiting for?
Lesann from Lesann Berry.
Madeline from  My Capricious Existence.
Lyla from Lyla Writes Lyla Writes.

I’m also supposed to tell you something interesting, and I’ve decided to make it cookie biscuit related.

During the First World War, when the soldiers of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps were fighting overseas, their families wanted to send them food that would survive the weeks-long journey without spoiling or crumbling. So here is the recipe for ANZAC biscuits:

1 cup of rolled oats
¾ cup of sugar
4 oz butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup (rumour has it you can use treacle at a pinch)
1 cup of plain flour
¾ cup of desiccated coconut
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon baking/bicarb soda

Method: Place dry ingredients in a bowl. Melt butter in saucepan with syrup and water, add soda, and then add to mixed dry ingredients. Roll in balls and flatten with a fork. Bake in a moderate over (180 Celsius, 350 Fahrenheit), for about 12 minutes, until golden brown.


They should look something like this: 




Enjoy!

Given that I consider my oven purely decorative, don’t hold your breath for any more recipes.
***
What are you cooking up this week, either in the kitchen or in front of your computer? 

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the award! I now need a cup of tea and a biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Cole! And it's always a good time for a cup of tea and a biscuit.

      Delete
  2. You ARE a smart cookie!

    Now I get to be one too! That is so cool. I can't believe I get to make Anzac biscuits on top of it! My husband will just be stunned.

    I've been in that potential I-could-be-electrocuted-cubicle-cord mess...get out. If you're going down, make it more spectacular than that! Right?

    Congrats on the award - and thanks for sharing the cookies...er, biscuits. Is this the part where I refer to myself as a Yankee? I don't mind...that's kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're both smart cookies, Lesann!

      I hope you and your husband enjoy the Anzac biscuits. They're easy to make. By that, I mean that even I can make them.

      I hear you on the cord situation. Not impressive at all. I'm thinking my death scene should involve a hang glider and an exciting explosion. I'll work on the details later.

      And you are totally a Yank if you call them cookies.
      :)

      Delete
  3. Ah! Thanks! :D And now I'm hungry. *glances at clock* Nope. Still twenty more minutes of religion class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not class! That's just wrong!
      All you have to do is stand up and walk out. It's all about the attitude. If you look like you have permission, you have permission!

      Delete
  4. I like the punching part.ha I'm playing with a new idea and waiting for the awesome insights of my alpha/beta reader. Or whatever you call that person who is willing to read your ugly first draft. Angel?

    And I want a cookie. But I don't want to bake it or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm..angel or masochist?

      And now I'm totally going to the bakery when I finish work. I'll be lined up at 6am with all the old people, pushing my way to the front. "Bitch, biscuit me!"

      Nah...I'm all talk. I'll be completely polite.

      Delete
  5. We've always got anzac biscuits in our house. Hubby loves them soft and chewy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soft, chewy ones are the best!

      Delete
  6. I'd comment, but I don't want to write about someone writing about writing about writing instead of writing instead of writing, so I'm gonna go write, right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, look out! You're stuck in an infinite loop! I'll go and fetch help!

      Delete
  7. Love the history along with the recipe--thanks :-) And congratulations on the award. As for what I'm going to cook up? I'm thinking about jelly-filled cookies, tho there's not much historical interest connected to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kenda!
      Lol! I always have to translate American English. Who would put jelly in biscuits? And then I realise that you mean jam, which sounds much nicer!

      Delete
  8. A retro cookie recipe?

    BTW. . .
    Tagged you for ‘I’ve Been Tagged’ list. (compliments of Misha)

    My post, the list of 11 bloggers and all the details are HERE: DG Hudson - Rainforest Writing:

    http://dghudson-rainwriting.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged-11-questions.html

    Hope you can participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not even retro, DG, it's historical!
      I will check out your post, thanks!

      Delete
  9. Thanks, Jen.

    BTW - might try that recipe. I'll let you know if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A new recipe...thanks! Congrats on the award! Those things make the days just a little bit nicer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they sure do! Enjoy the Anzac biscuits!

      Delete
  11. OH.
    MY.
    SOD.
    I got so busy, I forgot to come and thank you for the award! THANK YOU, JEN. OMG...I'm an idiot for not having remembered sooner- thank you, thank you for thinking of me and for mentioning CORNERSTONE. I appreciate you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Misty! I am having one of those disorganised weeks too. I mean months, I mean years. Oh hell, i mean life.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...