Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Lucky 7 strikes again!


The Lucky 7 meme is going crazy at the moment, and I’m so on this bandwagon, thanks to M.E. at Breaking Fantasy. 

Here are the rules:

1. Go to page 77 of your current MS
2. Go to line 7
3. Copy down the next seven lines as they are written - no cheating!
4. Tag 7 other writers and let them know


Line 7 on Page 77 happens to drop my MC Danny straight into the middle of Memory Lane. Or Flashback Alley. Which kind of sucks, because on the previous page there were 'splosions. So here goes: 

The wind picks up the dust and sand and breathes it in my face. My bare feet are covered in red dirt. The day is hazy. Cockatoos screech in the trees. 

The Three-thirteen had a name once. The old people say it like a curse. They push it out of their mouths like they don’t like the taste of it. Three short, mumbled syllables that sound like a mouthful of sticky rice. Three syllables that were a name once: Napranum. 

A black fly lands on my face. I puff breath out of my nostrils to shift it. It crawls over my lips, reaches the corner of my mouth and burrows for the moisture there. I spit it away. 

(This is 7 lines in my MS, and 7 when I typed it up into Blogger. The Formatting Gods have now decreed it more.)
Damn, I want to tag everyone with this one. So here are 7 people I've chosen at random: 

1. Lesann at LessanBerry.com, for sharing an awesome post on The Mutter Museum
2. Mark K at the DM's Screen - this is revenge for the Versatile Blogger Award, which I will totally get to, I swear! 
3. Miss Cole, at Miss Cole Seeks Publisher, when she's back from India. 
4. Marsha at Marsha's Musings, for being hilarious (and teaching me all about the weird people who hang around Walmart). 
5. Sarah at From Sarah, With Joy, and not just for the pictures of Chris Helmsworth she posted the other day. Not just cos of that. I am not shallow. Shut up. 
6. Caroline from Caroline Wilson Writes, because history is awesome, and fiction is awesome, and therefore historical fiction is awesome squared. 
7. And EVERYBODY else. Seriously. I want to read your 7 lines. Give them to me! 

22 comments:

  1. Revenge, darling? Oh my, how deliciously decadent, sweetie! You are so adorable when you get all feisty.

    Ok, that's not how I usually address a fellow blogger, but you made me laugh, Jen. But do I thank you, I wonder? An act of revenge denotes my being chosen not for my worth as a writer, but, but, but... (here is where I break down into tears. Feeling guilty? Are you? Muh-wah-hahahaha!)

    I accept your challenge, Lady Jen. But heed my words, you are now a marked woman! (cue dramatic music and rolling thunder) ;)

    It's very late, or very early, depending on your perspective, and I must sleep off this headache.

    Kindest regards

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revenge!
      I've always wanted a nemesis, Mark! Except which one of us gets to be the super-villain? Can I go first? Can I? Can I?
      Let me get my cape!

      Delete
  2. Even without the 'splosions, that was excellent writing.

    And being blogless, I am immune to this pestilent 7. Immune, I say!

    Well, okay, I'll e-mail ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I already snagged an available Lucky 7 Meme from another blog. Cause I wanted to join in the fun, you know?
    Did seven paragraphs from Chapter seven instead. Cause there's no page 77 yet. ^_^ Heh, and then I noticed my choice (still in its first draft) had a missing ‘the’. *snicker*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I will head over and check it out!

      Delete
  4. Still, 'revenge'? C'mon, I deserve better than that! You know this could get ugly. I can see it now, headlines read, 'Blogger's Bookshelf Collapses Under Weight of Constant Awards'.

    Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wearing my cape now.
      Oh yes, revenge.
      I am also tenting my fingers.
      Welcome to Amsterdam, Mr Bond...no, wait..Welcome to the blogosphere, Mr Mark K.

      Delete
  5. Ah... so you show yourself in your true identity, Jen Stavrina Blogfeld - you have been unmasked at last!

    Be prepared to meet thy doom! Erm, how does next Tuesday, round about 3pm seem to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tag! I covered it here :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Runs over to check it out*

      Ooh! I like!

      Delete
  7. Great seven lines. And I love the sign at the end. "Enjoy your stay." Yeah, sounds lovely. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that Napranum has it charms... :) I just like the sound of the word.

      I once got an email that said you were never a real Aussie kid if you didn't swallow at least one fly. True. But gross.

      Delete
  8. Amaaaaazing seven lines, Jen! Great stuff, truly, and inspiring. Love the darkness lurking everywhere. I was tagged for the 7 Meme last week--here's the link to my post:

    http://guilie-castillo-oriard.blogspot.com/2012/03/seven.html

    Nowhere nearly as nice as yours, but what I love about sharing bits like these is that it makes one focus on editing in small chunks, not just the overall thing.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked your seven lines. I really enjoyed the voice, and the sense of character. I would definitely read more!

      Delete
  9. Oh! Oh! I am SO all over this! Thanks for tagging me - my post will go live on Sunday (terribly overscheduled this week).

    So glad you liked the Mutter Museum post. I think it alarmed most people - comments have been very quiet. *snicker*

    I love love love your 7! Words pushed out of mouths, flies burrowing for moisture (spit! spit!)...I want 7 paragraphs!

    Mine is so blah. I wanna read about the 'splosions next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate flies...does it show? It's been a while since I swallowed one though. I did inhale a mosquito a few months ago. Eugh.

      And I LOVED the post on the Mutter Museum. Gross stuff...I feel the need to look closer!

      Delete
  10. This is one of my favourite memes. I love peeking at peoples work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the lines! And always remember when a bug is on your face, never take a sudden deep breath to blow it away. It doesn't work out well.

    Thanks for tagging me, this is actually a meme I'm looking forward to posting about! Then I'll go back to warning people about Walmart. It's my duty, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absolutely your duty! There are people relying on you, you know! :)

      And I've swallowed more bugs than I'd care to remember...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...