Tuesday, April 10, 2012

They're Baaaack...

It’s been a while since one of these posts:

Possums. Excuse my involuntary twitch, but possums!

I knew about Johnny Rotten. I mean, it’s hard to ignore the fact that he’s breaking in every night when he’s gotten so damned clumsy about it. I think it’s my right to leave Tupperware containers on my kitchen bench. He thinks it’s his right to play skittles with them. But that’s okay. He’s just annoyed because he can’t get to the bread and bananas.

 

Sidenote: my mother bought me this hot pink plastic picnic basket. It doesn’t exactly complement my blue kitchen, so while I’m not winning in the style stakes, I’ve still got the edge in the I-Have-Banana stakes.

So on Monday evening, at about 9 pm as I was running between a birthday party and work, I stopped in at home to pick up my dinner and my laptop. Something Wasn’t Right. Not the neighbours having a drunken screaming match in the street -- that’s normal. Not the bat that almost took my head off as I opened my gate -- slightly less normal, but not unprecedented. No, it was something else. There were Noises in my house.

I opened the door. Nothing. Except the dog, who was looking slightly more sheepish than usual, and the cats, who were looking the same as always: contemptuous. Whatever. I have opposable thumbs. They can bite me. (Which they do.)

It all seemed okay. I got my stuff together for work. I caught up on Words with Friends. I ate my last Easter egg. Then I went into the bathroom and turned the light on. And saw this:







Aargh! My clean towels! 

But also, awwww...

I have left a banana outside in the hope that while I’m at work they find their way back through the shutters. Otherwise I’ll have no choice but to domesticate them.

***

Also, since I’ve run out of Sex Pistols to name my possums after, any suggestions for mum and baby? 

14 comments:

  1. The Possum saga continues! And in a very cute way.

    About names, on seeing them I couldn’t help but think of Kanga and Roo.

    But if you want to stick with the British punk theme, how about Siouxsie and the Banshee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Siouxsie and the Banshee! I'll bet the little fellah screams like one as well.

      Delete
  2. That possum is going to need a lot more lipstick if you want to call her Siouxsie. :P

    Gah! I can't believe an animal that big can just get into the house through the shutters. Do you ever worry about snakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do worry about snakes. Now.

      Actually, not really. Snakes that can climb aren't the venomous ones. Which isn't to say I wouldn't have a panic attack if I found a python in my house.

      Possums are very squeezy though. When I was trying to get rid of Sid and Nancy from my roof, I was told an adult possum could get through a hole the size of a tennis ball. I was also told even if I patched the hole, they can peel back tin. That might have been the point when, psychologically, they defeated me.

      Delete
  3. "Except the dog, who was looking slightly more sheepish than usual"

    The dog is clearly not doing his duty in securing the property! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog ought to be sacked! The sheepish looks tells me she knows exactly how hopeless she is. You expect a cat not to give a damn, but my dog is supposed to have the primal memory of a wolf.

      I'll probably get home one night to find her cuddling up with the possum, sharing my stolen bread.

      Delete
  4. Don't possums eat snakes? They could totally be A Good
    Thing. As I've said before, at least they aren't American possums, who make Ugly look Cute.

    I'm for domesticating these two. Maybe they'll be all territorial and keep all other possums at bay.

    Marian Allen
    Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marian! Actually, it's the other way around here. The snakes eat the possums.I've never yet seen a snake in my yard though, so I chose to believe there are none!

      Delete
  5. Call the big one Bitey.

    I couldn't help that one. Overall, I don't mind possums. One once broke into my house to try and eat the cat food. I'm sure once Momma smells the banana, she'll go out to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monorail..monorail...MONORAIL!

      I don't mind them either, I just want them to be outdoor possums.

      Delete
  6. Our house would be a cakewalk for them, we have a cat flap! Well, at least you are still able to look them in the eye and say "Awwww." They can't be all bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cat flap would be no challenge at all to these guys. And they are cute. I just want them to live outside, where nature intends!

      Delete
  7. Awww. Speaking as a townie who has no idea about wild animals, I think this is so cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are totally cute, Sarah, which makes them really, really hard to hate. But I'm trying.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...