Monday, April 2, 2012

Versatility

In fun news, Mark at The DM’s Screen has awarded me the Versatile Blogger Award. Normally it looks like this:

But I’m stealing the one Mark made because it’s all kinds of awesome:


First, I need to tell you seven random things about myself. Here they are: 

1. I am allergic to an antibiotic called Keflex. I took it once and the next thing I know I was in hospital, my skin was bright red and I wasn't wearing pants. (When the burning ants crawled over my scalp it seemed like a good idea to have a cool shower. Sadly the ambulance officers refused to go back for my pants.) When doctors ask me if I’m allergic to anything I always tell them “Kevlar” because I can’t remember the name of it. I had to look up Wikipedia to find out the name of it for this post. On Wikipedia it says: “An allergic reaction to this medicine is unlikely.” Fuck you, Wikipedia. 

2. Because of a peculiarity in the Papua New Guinea schooling system, I started Grade 1 when I was four. Eventually, this meant I started university when I was 16. People looked at me like I was a child prodigy for about a week. Then they met me.

3.  I used to bunk off from school and go to university with my sister. Worst truant ever. Also, Kath’s theology professor was so absent-minded he thought I was in the class and was concerned when I didn’t show up for the exam. Two years later, I showed up for the exam.

4. Thanks to work experience with a vet, I know what the inside of a cat looks like. Pink and squishy. 

5.  I have never read Moby Dick. But I saw the Futurama episode based on it, so I think I’ve got a handle on the major themes.

6. I only bought a house because I wanted a dog. In the same vein, I only went to university because I didn’t want a job. I am secretly not a grown up at all.

7. I have watched the sun come up from the edge of an active volcano. Just wow.   

Source
 Yasur on Tanna, Vanuatu. Go there. 




Here are the rules for the Versatile Blogger Award: 

1.             Nominate 15 fellow bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award.
2.             In the same post add the Versatile Blogger Award
3.             In the same post, thank the blogger who nominated you with a link back to their blog site.
4.             In the same post add seven random facts/pieces of information about yourself.
5.             In the same post, include this set of rules.
6.             Inform each blogger of their nomination for the reward with a post in their comments section on their respective blogs.


*** 
Instead of nominating 15 bloggers, I'll be cheating, and here's why: 

You're all versatile, and awesome, and funny and creative and talented. 
If you want this award, please take it, and share the love. 

8 comments:

  1. Jen,

    You are so very welcome to my version of the award - I'm flattered that you liked it to begin with :)

    Now, although shocked at your potty mouth in #1 ;) it had me laughing, as did most of your factoids. So very happy you took part. You're a real star, even with a potty mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I have a potty mouth, Mark, I am a super villain! :)
      Except, dammit, now you know my secret weakness!

      Curses!

      Delete
  2. This was so funny. I particularly liked number three :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. I used to skip high school Maths to go to university Theology and Philosophy. Totally worth it. Particularly since, after struggling with Advanced Maths in junior, I dropped back to basic maths in senior. It was called Maths in Society, but we knew it variously as Maths in Space, Maths in the Garden, or Maths with the Pixies.

      I think I still owe my maths teacher several assignments.

      Delete
  3. Such a great list. Did the professor recognize you the second time around?

    And I may not be using it right, but I'm going to be saying "Bunk off" all week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he recognised me the second time around, but he once failed to recognise my sister after she got a haircut. Also, he often forgot to take his bike helmet off in class.

      A seriously intensely clever man, with absolutely no clue when it came to the practical stuff.

      Delete
  4. Sssh, I've never read Moby Dick either, even though I was supposed to for a first year lit class at uni. Thanks to just about every other media outlet ever, I too know the main themes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how just a little bit of vague knowledge and the ability to bullshit can get you through a lot of university classes. (Speaking as one who knows!)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...