Saturday, May 12, 2012

Deadlines

I love deadlines. 

Deadlines force me to work. I am the ultimate procrastinator, so I need deadlines. 

I also hate deadlines. 

I hate how I go to sleep worrying about them, and how I dream about them, and then I wake up feeling like I haven't slept at all because I've been writing to that effing dealine all night in my sleep. And I can remember how horrible it was, but I can't remember any of the fantastic words that I somehow managed to write. Or I can, and it turns out that what is fantastic in a dream is just plain rubbish in the real world. 

This week I've been rushing toward a deadline, working nights, and organising my nephew's eighth birthday party. It's been interesting.

And by interesting I mean frantic. Harried. What's my name and what day it is? 

This week it feels like writing is a competitive sport. Don't stop me now, I can see the finish line! 

Meanwhile, in Dorset... 


How do you feel about deadlines? 

10 comments:

  1. What a hilarious doodle. I mean, sketch. And you know we're all cheering you on.

    Douglas Adams is known for saying "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." So you're in good company there.

    In fact, here's the story of his second book:

    Eventually the managing editor of Pan said, “We’ve given you all these extensions and we have got to have it. Sudden death or else, we have to have it in four weeks. Now, how far have you got with it?” I didn’t like to tell him I hadn’t started it; it seemed unfair on the poor chap’s heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Douglas Adams!
      I strive for that level of British blasé-ness every day.

      Delete
  2. Ah, deadlines. You must be a real writer. I'm still just playing at it in my living room. I give myself deadlines and then laugh while I start another game of Angry Birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give myself deadlines and then cry while I start another game of Angry Birds. On the plus side, I'm getting really good at Angry Birds!

      Delete
  3. Good old Monty Python! Starting a new novel will never be the same again :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me determined to start a novel with the word "Dolores".

      Delete
  4. Deadlines are good, but I don't necessarily hold myself to them if they're self-imposed. The ones other people impose on me are the scary ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the scary ones are the only ones that work!

      Delete
  5. When I did my graphic design degree ( I was 38 at the time), I was terrible for letting my assignments go till the last minute. BUT, sitting up all through the night before the hand in I found I was so focused and sharp that I didn't have a problem with the course at all. Sadly, I've not kicked the habit of staying up late, and it isn't unusual for me to be up till 3 - 4 am. But hey, that's how I roll--at least, I think that's the correct turn of phrase?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a complete night owl as well! Early mornings are completely over-rated! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...