Monday, May 28, 2012

Too many Karens


Here is one thing you get a lot in life, but almost never in fiction: too many Karens. 

I have at least four Karens in my life: my cousin, my colleague, my boss, and my hairdresser. Hi, Karens!

My cousin Karen has a brother called Tony. And a husband called Tony. And on the other side of the family I have an uncle called Tony. This doesn’t confuse me because I know every Karen and Tony as distinct individuals, but it might confuse you because to you they’re just names.


Real life is messy. Fiction has to be neater, but this ignores the fact that names, like anything, come in and out of fashion. When I was a kid, every second boy from school was called Mark. And every third one was called Jason.

When my family lived in Papua New Guinea, my father used to travel around a lot. I don’t know how much of it was necessary for his work, or how much he just liked to get out and explore the place. Once, my dad and three friends went to a village and introduced themselves as John, John, John and Mario. Then they had to try and explain how three men who weren’t from the same family could share a name. And that even though Mario’s grandfather had been on the other side in the war Mario was okay, but that’s a whole other story.

I can only think of one instance where I've seen this common name clash in fiction. This is from Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. Gordon Way is leaving a message on his sister's answering machine while driving home. Shortly afterwards he is shot and killed by an electric monk from another planet hiding in the boot of his car. And that's not the weirdest thing that happens. 

"Make a note to Susan, would you please, to get an 'Armed Response' sign made up with a sharp spike on the bottom at the right height for rabbits to see. That's secretary Susan at the office, not you, of course." 

Read this book. I promise that you'll never think the same about Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

***
Are there any names overrepresented in your life? 
Do you think we can use the same name for two different characters? 
Would you? Or is it just easier not to? 



6 comments:

  1. Christine. There are far too many people called Christine.
    My aunt, my mother-in-law, a nanny at my daughters school. Thank goodness she no longer goes to preschool as there was a Christine there too. -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all get a bit too confusing, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Gotta love Douglas Adams. In fact, I met my friend Derek Gentry simply because his name was so similar to Dirk Gently that I had to check out his blog.

    For another example in fiction, I'm reminded of these recurring characters on "The Bob Newhart Show."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great link. I don't think I've ever seen The Bob Newhart Show before.

      And I do love Douglas Adams. I think some comic writers try too hard, and it just doesn't work for me, but Douglas Adams just hits the right pitch or something!

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of having lots of people with the same name in a story ;) It's realistic after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try it just to see if I could make it work!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...