Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Time Wasters and Pancake Makers


I am not good with Time Management. This is despite knowing that it is Important. It's so Important that I wrote it in Big Letters, so you know I'm not kidding around.

I bought a yearly planner back in January -- the sort you stick on your wall and fill up with all the things you have to do. I think the last time I looked at it was on January 14. The last time I wrote on it was...January 14. Those fourteen days were amongst the most organised of my life, but it's all been downhill from there. 

I do not do Time Management. 


A few days ago my sister said, "Aren't you going to Brisbane soon?" 
"Not until June," I said. 
"It is June," Kath said. "When is the concert?" 
"I dunno." 
"When do you go?" 
"I dunno." 
"Are your flights booked?" 
"Yeah." 
"But you don't know when you go?" 
"No," I said. "People just ask me to go places with them, and I give them money and they tell me when to turn up at the airport." 
She looked at me like I was an idiot. 
Meanwhile, my life is Exciting and Mysterious. Anything could happen! 

I do not do Time Management. 

Yesterday my mother said, "What are you working tomorrow?" 
"I don't know," I said. "What day are we up to?" 

Just don't do it. 

I woke up this morning to the sound of a lawnmower. 
"Crap," I said into my pillow. "What idiot neighbour is mowing their lawn this early on a Sunday morning?" 
Then I realised it was noon. And Tuesday. And the guy was mowing my lawn, because that's what I pay him to do. Hi, Joe! 

Don't do it. 

Time is arbitrary, right? Meaningless, except the philosophical defence doesn't cut it when I didn't get any writing done this morning because it was overcast and cold so I slept in. And it didn't cut it last night when, instead of coming straight home from work and getting to grips on that misbehaving chapter, I made pancakes and watched 30 Rock instead. 

But tonight, I will write. 
I have to. 
I'm out of eggs. 

*** 

I was going to do a well-conceived and thoughtful post on Time Management, but I procrastinated until I ran out of time. How are you wasting arbitrary time this week? 





9 comments:

  1. Yes, usually reading blogs. Sometimes checking news or replying to emails.

    I took time management and stress management courses and the final line was 'is anybody going to die if you don't get it done?"

    Usually the answer is no. If it's a possibility, then better get to it.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogs and emails are a great way to procrastinate! I also like to make up strange playlists in iTunes. I really need to unplug the computer!

      Delete
  2. I’ve printed up articles on Time Management, but then put them in the foot-high stack of Stuff to Read, and I'm not sure I’ll ever see them again.

    Since your last post, all my extra time has been devoted to searching for erotic novel covers with super-abundant abs. I may have to take three cold showers a day, but it's all going to be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Good luck with the hunt! Did you know there's a whole list in Goodreads devoted to books with hot torsos on the covers? My second book may be in that list. However, it also made one list that also has Harry Potter and that's just too weird to contemplate.

      Delete
    2. There's gotta be an algorithm that can figure out which book has a hot guy with great abs, is written by an Australian, and shares something in common with Harry Potter (I'm guessing it's the reference to "harry," but it's just a guess. Ooh, maybe we should be looking for harry chested men's torsos).

      Delete
    3. “To Goodreads, Watson! We’ll crack this case yet with this new revelation!”

      Six hours later:

      “Watson, I am baffled. There are just so many lists, so many pictures to study, so many young men with surprisingly rugged abdominal terrain. But it has been a most enlightening afternoon. By the way, I’m replacing you with Hans, a twenty-year-old gymnast.”

      Delete
    4. I think I've seen that Sherlock fan fiction!

      Delete
  3. This is my biggest problem. I tell myself that I do my best work "under pressure", which is just a crappy way of procrastinating until I absolutely MUST do [insert name of whatever it is here].

    Writing my thesis was hilarious. Talk about waiting until the last minute, but even then, I pulled it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Which is fine, unless I'm trying to set my own deadline, because my brain doesn't count it as a deadline unless it comes from outside.

      I'm impressed you pulled off a thesis in the last minute!
      I started a thesis...then realised that the rest of my friends had jobs, and money, and stuff like that and I really didn't want to spend another year at uni.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...