Sunday, September 23, 2012

Writing Goals: How do you reward yourself?

So today my alter-ego's co-author and I hit 42600 words. That's pretty epic, given we've been doing this for a grand total of two weeks. That's NaNoWriMo speeds! Hell, that's faster than NaNoWriMo. 

Full disclosure: I've never finished NaNoWriMo. I started it once, realised after two days that I was writing absolute crap, and threw it in. Not the point of NaNo, I know, but I lost the love. I think that if I went into it with an idea that I didn't actively detest, and possibly some inkling of a plot, I'd do a lot better. This could be the year! 

Then again, NaNoWriMo is like a contest against myself. So I don't care if I quit. Give me someone else to let down though, and apparently I'll write like a demon. 

Do you have writing goals? 
Do you meet them? 
And do you reward yourself? 

This is my reward for myself if I get through editing without whinging and muttering and plotting elaborate revenge fantasies against my lovely editor: 



Yep, this is The Students Handbook of Forensic Medicine, 1882 edition. OMG, you guys, I can't wait to read this and learn how to tell the difference between arsenic and strychnine poisoning. 

Weird old books are my weakness, but how do you reward yourself when you hit your goals? 

6 comments:

  1. I find it easier to meet my writing goals if I don't make any. But of course I lose out on rewarding myself with weird old books.

    Please pass along congrats to your alter-ego!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let her know! :)

      And the meeting goals thing is working so well for her, I figured I'd try and incorporate it into my life. *Looks around hopefully* Anyone doing NaNo this year?

      Delete
  2. That's impressive progress! Congratulations!

    When I'm in full-on first draft mode (like now) I track my progress after each writing session, with a target for the week. I can't hit a fraction of NaNo speeds, so this is a marathon, not a sprint.

    Mostly, my rewards are internal. I get a kick out of seeing that line on my Excel graph stretch towards the target line day by day. If I'm doing well, I reward myself with stopping (and a job well done), keeping going (knowing that every word now is a bonus), or switching tracks to something less pressured, like drawing a map of some part of the world that I know will be a useful reference later on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually I'm not even doing a marathon -- more a meandering walk in the garden until sit down and fall asleep in a sunbeam, so this is all new.

    Internal rewards are fantastic as well. I love how you reward yourself with drawing maps: it's still work, and it's still for the WIP, but it's also fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally meet my goals, yep. But I always have more waiting in the wings ;) It's a never-ending cycle of (at times) "argh" (and at other times "YAY!"). I've participated in NaNo most years since 2002, and have won most years. But some of those novels are still not finished. I just got past 50k, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trisha, I know what you mean about the never ending cycle. Sometimes it's the best feeling in the world to know that we can do this forever, but other times I wonder why I got in this crazy merry go round.

      I'm thinking hard about NaNo this year, but I don't know if my idea is developed enough to sustain that writing pace.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...