Sunday, November 25, 2012

A tricky word...also, I give some thanks

Okay, so the other day I was reading the comments on News.com.au and feeling morally superior -- I do this a lot, because hell, I'll take whatever edge I can get. And there was a story about how poorly our swimming team performed at the London Olympics, and whose fault it was, and how this national tragedy could be prevented in the future. Because for some reason it matters that people from my country should be able to swim faster than people from other countries, even though I can think of no practical application for swimming a tenth of a second faster than the next guy in the real world. You know, unless there are sharks after you. In which case, may I suggest a boat? 

Anyway. One commentator blamed everything on the fact that our swimmers are worked too hard. They train seven days a week, he said. They are sent to competition after competition after competition, and when they arrive at the Olympics they are literally buggered


As you can imagine, it took some time for me to get that image out of my head. 
Also, I almost died from laughing too hard. 

What is it about literally that so very many people get wrong? 

Hey, and for those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you had a good one. And for those of us that don't, maybe we should. It's a nice sentiment, and it's always a good thing to take a moment and reflect, isn't it? 

Last night I had a friend from work over. We drank some good wine, some awful cider, some much better cider, and talked for hours about how shitty and stressful our job sometimes is. And she said that she needed to get something in her life apart from work. Something that would give her a place to pour her frustrations and work out some of that crazy pent-up energy you get when your brain has been skipping from crisis to crisis to crisis for eight hours straight. 

Like you, she said. 

And on that note, if I haven't said it before I'll say it now: I am so incredibly thankful for writing. I love it. 

What are you giving thanks for this week? 
Or, what words trip you up every time? 

12 comments:

  1. Literally is an incredibly annoying word because, as you say, people misuse it all the damn time. The one that gets me is when something funny happens and someone declared "I LITERALLY died!" O_O It's a miracle! They've returned to life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking corpses! The zombi apocalypse is nigh!

      Delete
  2. Well, the man could have a point. Maybe if the Australians weren't so tired from all the competition and training they wouldn't have made such easy targets for buggering Brits during the Olympics.

    And I agree having a fantasy world to retreat to and write about is literally something to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, LG! I mean, either they have to have enough strength to defend themselves, or we need to provide them with better security or something...

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes! I literally fell off my chair when I read this. My jaw literally hit the ground. I literally died laughi...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that's produced an image that I can't unsee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unique is a word that trips me up, but my mother always pulls me up short when I misuse it. "Nothing is 'fairly' unique or 'quite' unique or 'relatively' unique or 'a little bit' unique," my mother says. "It's either unique or it isn't." And my mother is correct. :/

    Marian Allen
    Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unique is another great one, where the meaning is just disregarded, I used to be a serial offender when it came to "unique" but my mum pulled me into line as well.

      Delete
  6. At least they weren't literary buggered.

    And bugger me if this post weren't literally unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what if they were, MC? WHAT IF THEY WERE?

      I actually used to know the Old English word for unique, but I've forgotten it now. It was a great word. I must look it up again.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...