Saturday, February 16, 2013

WTF: Adventures in Cover Art

I'm sure you've all seen this by now:

Source: The Guardian

It's the model from the cover of a new edition of Anne of Green Gables, and it brings up a very important question: WTF?

I have ranted about this a lot to people this week. Some of them even pretended to care. My top three rants, in no particular order are:

1. Anne is eleven when this story starts. Eleven! No way is that cover model eleven. In fact, somebody needs to give that cover model a quick talk on safe sex, because she looks like she's about to get herself into all sorts of complications.

2. Why is she wearing a cowboy shirt? Anne would not wear a cowboy shirt! That is not period clothing!

3. Anne's hair is RED. RED, not blonde. Everything else I might have overlooked, but Anne has RED HAIR AND FRECKLES. YOU CAN'T CHANGE THAT!

In other recent cover art adventures, here is Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. Chick lit, anyone? Yeah, a woman wrote this book so that's probably what it's all about, right?

Source: The Guardian

This one caused a bit of fun backlash, with people redesigning classic covers as they saw fit. And while I appreciate this cover for its what-you-see-is-what-you-get...

Source


I loved this one for Lord of the Flies:

Source

And then there was this:

Source

Perfect. I love it when literate people get angry. So much fun! 


5 comments:

  1. I saw that just last week.

    It seems they've put up a new cover, but here's the reviews for it. One does not screw with Anne.

    I hadn't seen those new covers, and yeah, nothing like some satire to kick someone where they deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are fantastic reviews. And so well deserved!

      Delete
  2. I'm a purist with the classics. Don't mess with them. They do not need a modern update.

    Not a fan of AofGG, but it seems to me the books SHOULD have some connection to the storyline within. A good rant with purpose, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should read: the COVER should have connection with the storyline.

      Delete
  3. LOL, DG! That's how I read it :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...