Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The little things


I’ve been slack on the blogging front lately.
No excuses.
Just because.

Also, I couldn’t think of anything to blog about.

So here’s something today that made me smile.

I was doing that thing I do before work – loitering angrily outside the station not wanting to go in – when a man walked across the driveway.

“Come on,” he said to the little boy dawdling along behind him.

The kid must have been about three years old. All curls and sandals. But he wasn’t listening to dad, because his attention had been caught by the very tall, very bearded, very tattooed, very intimidating guy standing beside the gleaming Harley parked at the side of the road.

He looked a bit like this.


So there the kid was, walking backwards to keep his eye on the guy and the bike, with his hands held up to his ears in anticipation.

And big scary biker guy got on the bike, and started it. It was one of those engines that just roared.

The little kid clapped his hands to his ears. His jaw dropped and his eyes were suddenly as big as saucers.

The biker pulled out, grinned at the kid, revved the bike twice, and waved as he rode off.

The kid waved back, sheer delight written all over his face, jumping up and down like it was Christmas.

So there you go. Today I saw a random interaction between two strangers and it made me strangely, unaccountably happy.

That one tiny act of kindness – in acknowledging that kid’s reaction and playing up to it – spread further than the kid and the biker. The dad laughed. I laughed. A woman crossing the road laughed.

Such a tiny thing, such a fleeting moment, but sometimes it’s nice to take joy in the little things.

What little things are making you happy this week?

10 comments:

  1. I'll bet that kid will remember this moment, when he was acknowledged and felt a connection with the world (although he wouldn't be so aware of it at this early age).

    Very observant of you to notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he remembers, DG. Just something about it was right!

      Delete
  2. Ah yes. I know the trials of having no blog ideas. Plus I think this story is one of the little things that makes me smile :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always scrabbling for ideas, aren;t we? ")

      Delete
  3. So true. Little things can make such a difference to the day. Lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Botanist! I hope your day is full of lovely things as well.

      Delete
  4. What an awesome little moment. I remember the first time my dad took me to an air show and I saw a red biplane. I was like, I want to fly THAT. I still don't know how to fly a plane. But there's time, right?

    Things that made me happy this week? I might have ended up on a website where you watch videos of soldiers returning home and reuniting with their dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always time to learn to fly a biplane!

      And those returning soldier videos...what is it about them that makes me cry more than soldiers returning home to their own kids? IT'S BECAUSE DOGS DON'T UNDERSTAND!

      :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...