Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Ballarat. Cold.

Ballarat is a beautiful city, but it's cold. So, so cold...

But my (not so) inner history nerd loves it. Ballarat is most famous for the Eureka Stockade, a defining moment in Australia's history. My inner history nerd was quite excited to stand on Bakery Hill, and only a little bit saddened to discover that the plaque commemorating the site where all the miners burned their licences is on the side of a McDonalds. But still. 

And Sovereign Hill is wonderful. I want to live there and eat boiled lollies and pies and make my own candles. 


I'm not so keen on the actual gold mining aspect, of course. That seems highly unsanitary and possibly even dangerous. Here is Meg not becoming rich: 



And I don't know much about those miners of old, but I'll give them this much. They sure knew how to treat possums: 


That's a possum skin hanging in front of a kangaroo skin in the Gold Museum. Look out, Johnny Rotten. When I get home, it's on... 

What is everyone else up to this week? 

6 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Enjoy!

    This week? Work, work, work. Three weeks until I have some time off. Cannot wait! WOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it's so nice to have holidays to look forward to!

      Delete
  2. Interesting history, especially with how quickly the laws were changed.

    And so strange, on the hottest day of the year so far, to see Meg in a winter cap and jacket. You'd think we lived on opposite sides of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy seasons! I haven't been this cold in years, but it's totally worth it.

      The Eureka Stockade is interesting in that it actually turned out to the miners' benefit...apart from those who were killed, of course!

      Delete
  3. We're currently melting from the heat. Darn upside-downy world.

    That looks like a cool place, although I'm a little grossed out to see possum skins :P. You should show that picture to Johnny Rotten. He'll never bother you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JE, I'm so excited! I found a reprint of an old cookery book from the 1850s that includes a heap of different recipes for how to cook up a possum. They really knew how to treat possums in colonial times! I think I'll photocopy them and stick them by my windows as a warning to Johnny and the rest.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...