Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Final Frontier: No Women Allowed Beyond This Point

SF writer Ann Aguirre wrote an interesting blog post this week, about her experiences with sexism in the SF community. To sum up, apparently it's not just some fans who don't think women can write SF, it's some of the male authors as well. 

For some reason it just seems all the more disheartening to discover that SF is less of a final frontier and more of a glass ceiling.  In a genre that sets out to explore the possibilities of humanity endeavour, there's no room for women's voices? 

Now, I'm not a huge SF reader, and I haven't ready anything by Ann Aguirre before, but I know that even if I thought her books were a pile of rubbish, I wouldn't put that down to her gender, her ethnicity, her cultural background or any other fucking thing. I just...you know, wouldn't buy her next book. 

Also, I know that two of my all-time favourite SF books are written by women. 

Exhibit A: 


Exhibit B: 




Ugh. Sometimes it's very depressing. Here we are trying to break into this mysterious, wonderful circle of writers, only to find that, a lot of the time, people suck. Even if they write books. And it's not just SF, is it?  It seems not a week goes by without some meltdown in YA that sends everyone scrambling for the trenches. 

What the hell is going on here? Aren't we all on the same side? Didn't we all just want to tell stories? 

Well, I do. And I'll be damned if I let someone tell me I can't. For any reason. 

Rant over. 




8 comments:

  1. It's a depressing thought and it goes into sci-fi TV shows as well. Where are the women? You'd think by now we would've moved past the whole boys club mentality of the genre... Clearly we haven't.

    I shall simply have to roll up my sleeves and get to work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so frustrating that there are still standards like this anywhere in the world. What should be a big deal is whether a writer can WRITE, not what their gender is. What's so goddamn special about sci-fi that women can't grasp its intricacies? Or maybe we just can't handle all the math involved because that makes as much sense as any other shit they come up with.

    Ahh. Now I'm all pissed, too. Better stop before this turns into nothing but swears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pissed off too, JE! And I think I'm really pissed off because shit like this should be so ridiculous that it belongs back in the days of corsets and sepia photography and slavery. An attitude like this comes along and I'm all, "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?" So much for looking to the future, right?

      See, I had swears too!

      Delete
  3. Once again my faith in humanity gets kicked in the shins, only this time by space boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only right thing to do is get girls into those space boots, and kick right back!

      Delete
  4. It's so frustrating to think this still happens... Bring on the women SciFi writers I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't frustrated to read that -- I was astonished. Really? REALLY?

      But yes, bring on the women SF writers!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...