Sunday, June 9, 2013

You may kiss your bride

So, yesterday marked my debut as a marriage celebrant. And it was...scary

(MC has pointed out that the word "celebrant" might not be as universal as I had first thought. It's the person up the front who does the talky bits!) 

And it also made me a little bit angry-sad. Which is a word now. Because, here's the thing. I'm not a real celebrant -- those people need certificates and accreditations and stuff -- but I was able to do the job because it was not a legal marriage. 

Because there were two brides, and not a groom in sight. 



It was a lovely day, a beachside ceremony, and a very relaxed, very fun reception at the block of holiday units that had been entirely rented out by the wedding party and guests. I was absolutely honoured to be asked to be a part of the girls' special day, and I didn't even flub my lines. 

The vows were beautiful and the speeches were just lovely. And I must do a special shout out to Charlee, whose speech about meeting her mum's "friend" for the first time -- the air quotes were hers -- was just hilarious. 

So here's what I was thinking.

Why should love be so controversial? 

Yesterday was beautiful. Who does it hurt? 

Why are some people so vehemently opposed to marriage equality? These are the ones I want to take aside and whisper, "It's okay. They won't make it compulsory." 

I'm not a particularly politically savvy person, but remember that whole Separation of Church and State thing? That was good. Let's hold onto that. 

If a same sex couple wants to get married in the local Catholic Church, well, that's the Church's decision. Their house, their rules. But if they want to get married on the beach, or in the park, or at the courthouse, in a legally-binding manner that's recognised by the government, then why shouldn't they? 

Why should love be so controversial? 

And, all politics aside now, congratulations to Nikki and Karen, and thanks so much for inviting me to be a part of your special day. You girls rock! 



8 comments:

  1. So glad all went well for all concerned, and you didn't fluff your words either :)

    Unfortunately, religion interferes with everyday life on so many levels that it makes me wonder if they sometimes trying to compete with governments - almost like kids bickering over who has the most control over the populace.

    Don't misunderstand, I know there are religions out there that let life carry on as it should and everyone is happy with them, but several spring to mind that seem to be the main 'bad guys' - but I shall not name names, I think intelligent folks can work them out for themselves.

    Congratulations once more on a job well done, and pass on my best wishes to the happy couple :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark! Yes, I definitely subscribe to that whole separation of Church and State thing, particularly when studies show that the majority of Australians (including those who vote conservative) support marriage equity. And yet the politicians are still not prepared to change the law because those who do oppose it, oppose it so vehemently.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on such a great job at such a great event!

    If I come to Australia, will you marry me? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, for sure! I'll marry anyone!

      Funny story. One of the other guests asked how much I charged, and whether I was available later in the year. :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome. Where would you like to go on our honeymoon? :-)

      Delete
    3. VANUATU!

      Where else? :)

      Delete
  3. I know, why do people freak out so much about "changing the definition of marriage". Change is literally all words do. Of course, that's just a mask for their own desire to control the fates of others.

    I hope Karen and Nikki have a very happy marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, JE! Words constantly change definition over time, even legal definition. And it's not like the churches came up with the idea of two people getting up and making vows. Marriage has been around for much longer than that.

      Thanks for your good wishes for Karen and Nikki. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...