Friday, October 18, 2013

What the hell are s'mores anyway?

The title of this blog is a quote. It's a thing I demanded in an email to my American co-writer, during an increasingly combative exchange about cultural differences between the US and Australia. Fast forward a few weeks, and guess what arrived in my mail? A box containing chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers, a book on avoiding bear attacks (a whole other argument we've been having) and illustrated instructions. How cool is this? 












There was no number 7. Please refer to the admission in number 6 that she had been drinking. 





I love my co-writer. 

I have now laminated my s'mores field guide, to preserve it for posterity. And possibly blackmail purposes. 

The s'mores, BTW, were lovely. 

8 comments:

  1. I love s'mores! And #10 is a step I hadn't considered, but like very very very very much. ;) --Oh, and DO set the marshmallow on fire but blow it out immediately. The crispy blackened crust is a delicious counterpoint to the gooey, mooshy middle. --Oh, and put the marshmallow onto the chocolate while the marshmallow is still hot, so it softens the chocolate. If the chocolate melts and drips onto your fingers, just lick it off. If the chocolate drips onto your fingers and runs down to your elbow, there's always that hot firie. Okay, I am SO stopping now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have introduced my co-writer to the phrase "hot firie", and I'm pleased it's making its way into the American vernacular. :)

      And one of the kids I was making s'mores with did set the marshmallow on fire. You're right -- still delicious!

      Delete
  2. Never had a s'more. And I had to look up what a firie was. Never had one of those, either. But hey, it's a Friday, and a full moon, and the night's still young.

    P.S. Your co-author is brilliant. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is absolutely brilliant!

      And isn't it unpatriotic if you've never had a s'more?

      (I've also never had a hot firie, but I can dream!)

      Delete
  3. I think I'll stick with the microwave :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make them in the microwave? Why was I not informed of this? It would have been much less messy!

      Delete
  4. That is awesome! I've been wondering what they were ever since my 'Babysitter's Club' days. We did a similar thing around campfires but with a short-cut - we just put the melted marshmallow in between two chocolate thins (you have those in Australia, yes?). Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds perfect! Who needs crackers at all?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...