Saturday, December 21, 2013

2014: Be unafraid

Here's something I didn't know before I got published: 

Every book is a little easier to write. 

Okay, so maybe that's an over-simplification. Sometimes a plot remains tricky, or a character just doesn't work, or the POV is wrong and you only realise when you're halfway through, or sometimes everything should work but still somehow... doesn't. 

But that's fine. Those are details. And in this weird and crazy race, you've already cleared that first big scary hurdle. The rest are tiny in comparison. 

Because what gets easier, every time, is the process

You know where to set your goals. You know you can do it, because you already have. Most importantly, you know what the timeframe is. 

Give yourself a deadline. 

If you don't, if you're like me, you'll spend months, or even years, fiddling around with every tiny word in your WIP to try and make it perfect. You'll tell yourself you have all the time in the world. Stop thinking like that. Make this a priority instead. Make it urgent. 

And don't worry that it will never be perfect. It won't be. But it's probably better than you think. 


Get it out there. Jump that first hurdle, and, once you know how to do that, keep going. 

Make 2014 your year to be unafraid. Stand up on that stage, give the audience a grin, and get ready to throw your hat in the air. 

Be these guys: 



Make 2014 your year. 

10 comments:

  1. Cheers to doing the Full Monty in 2014. :)

    And Merry Christmas, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too, LG!

      And yes, let's get naked (figuratively speaking) in 2014!

      Delete
  2. Ha - liked LG's comment. I will pursue being 'unafraid' in 2014. I've gotten better at that. I do plan to be submitting more next year. Hope you have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten better at it too, DG. And it gets easier every time! I hope you have a great Christmas as well :)

      Delete
  3. Well, I plan to get my first novel published in 2014 (finally!) and now the Full Monty will be running through my mind the whole time! Oh well, it's a great movie to keep me company along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great movie, and great inspiration as well. None of them were perfect, but they got up there anyway! Best of luck for 2014!

      Delete
  4. I definitely relate to the deadline (currently whooshing over my head).

    And thanks for the tip from the trenches - good to know I won't always have my head this far up my ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you need someone on the other side of the world to set a deadline for you. Maybe someone who really wants to know what happens next in your WIP? *taps foot impatiently*

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...