Monday, January 6, 2014

Editing vs Procrastinating


I discovered this file on my computer today. Looks like I wrote it a few months ago. Also looks like I forgot to post it. Procrastination FTW! 


Okay, I like editing. I promise, I do. Its that painful but necessary stage where a file on a computer turns into a real actual book. But I have no editing tips to share. Instead I have a list of things you can do to avoid editing. 

1. Work shifts. That way, when you finish on Friday morning at 6 a.m., and are expected to start work again on Monday morning, with only a few misplaced kindy naps and midnight episodes of 30 Rock, you can so completely destroy your sleeping patterns that you'll look back and realise you did nothing with your weekend. For example, as I write this, I'm still in the pyjamas I put on over 24 hours ago. 

2. Get hungry at 3 a.m. This may lead to a trip to the Night Owl, and a lengthy conversation with the guy on the counter about what movies he's seen lately. 

3. Sleep through your alarm. You know what, don't even bother set it. It's pointless. 

4. Get distracted by a shiny new project. Read through your notes of that shiny new project later, and realise it's crap. Save it anyway. You never know. 

5. Reply to message from old school friends on Facebook, secretly wondering why, all these years later, we're supposed to be all friendly and adult, and not remember the times they were total bitches to you just because you were the new kid. Plot elaborate revenge plans in your head. 

6. Nap. A lot. Stay up all night planning to edit, but mostly just downloading songs you think you liked once for a week back in the nineties, and then nap during the day. 

7. Read the editorial notes from your editor. Highlight what appear to be relevant passages. There, you opened the document and made some of it bright yellow. Let's call that a job well done, and have another nap. 

8. Rediscover alcohol. 

9. Spring cleaning. Only recommended for dire emergencies, when no other job is big enough to keep you away from what you're supposed to be doing. 

So what did you do this weekend? 

3 comments:

  1. Considering how I just got up from a nap after cleaning my room, I think I got this well in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there was just a useful purpose to procrastinating I'd be made.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so good at procrastinating, you're doing it without even realizing it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...