Sunday, January 19, 2014

Focus

I think I have Writer ADD. Is that a thing? You know, when you start a project, then get distracted by a shiny new idea, and throw over your old one for that because it seems so much more fun, only to do exactly the same thing in a day or a week or a month? 

Yeah, whatever that's called, I've got that. 

If a story gets too hard, or I reach the point when it just isn't fun anymore, I stop. At least, I did stop. Now I'm supposed to keep going, however rough it gets because I have a deadline. 

Having a deadline for an unwritten story was no big deal at first. Pfft. That's like three months away, and it's only a novella. I'll totally get around to it as soon as I finish these shiny things. 



What? What do you mean it's Christmas? Let me just check my little planning chart here*. Ah. I see I should have had it plotted by now. Well, that's okay, that won't take long. Just because I'm not putting it down on paper doesn't mean I'm not thinking about the plot in my head. Sometimes. Oh, presents! 

It's January the what now? No, that can't be right. I will work on the novella for four hours a day until I've turned out a first draft. 

Maybe two hours a day. 

At least one.

Well today doesn't count, obviously. Today I had to take a nap. 

The nineteenth of January, you say? Wasn't Christmas only last week? Oh, I see. 

Okay, so that deadline is now looking a little deadlier. It's due on February the 15th, and I've scraped together 9000 words of the 30000 or so that I need. And I know I can do it if I just FOCUS. 

Sigh. 

You know what really drives me insane? Three days ago my co-author and I started this fun thing just for the hell of it, and it's already over 15000 words long. If I was writing this with her, I'd have it done by the middle of the week. 

Come on, Jen. 

Focus. 

*** 


*You guys, I made a planner and everything! It's not that I'm organised or anything, but I think I could pass for an organised person if someone saw my desk. This is actually a big step for me.

2 comments:

  1. Aloha :)

    I can sooooooooooooooooo feel your pain and yes, as far as I'm concerned WADD (true ailment, bad acronym!!) is as serious a problem as male pattern baldness.

    What?

    Seriously, I have started three WIPs in the last year and do exactly the same thing... write until I get stuck...I'm now considering splicing the three stories together to make one amazing and confusing first draft :)

    Good LUCK and you'll make the deadline, I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can't change how you are, work with it. Like have your co-author ask you to start a fun thing just for the hell of it, only it's the work you have on deadline, disguised as a shiny new object.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...