Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I was watching one of those reality TV shows this week -- don't judge me. Somehow I'd lost the will to live and was unable to change channels. And it got me to thinking: what’s with all the reality shows aimed at wannabe singers? What about us authors? Not that I’d want to be on a reality show, but you know … some recognition of different forms of creative art would be nice. Writers have dreams too! And origin stories. And heartbreak and obstacles and stuff.



I would watch a show about writers. Because I think that writing is absolutely fascinating – but I think a lot of the stuff that occupies my thoughts is fascinating. Otherwise I wouldn’t constantly get distracted by it when I was supposed to be doing other stuff. Like paying attention at work.

But while I think writing is fascinating – the entire process from plot bunny through to finished book – I do admit that it might make for some really boring TV.

Day 3: Jen wanders around in her pyjamas, humming tunelessly and staring at the sky.

Day 9:  Jen spends three and a half hours at the laptop. Then takes a nap.

Day 10: Jen starts laughing at something she writes. Then deletes it.

Day 15: Tensions occur in the house when the housemates realise that they haven’t been alone this whole time.

Day 18: The housemates engage in a five hour discussion of what “high concept” means. Nobody knows the answer.

Day 22: Rumours of an agent sighting, while exciting, prove false. 

Day 25: A crisis. The Internet crashes.  The housemates turn to wine.

Day 26: The housemates sleep until noon and later get into an argument about which POV is best.

Day 32: The network replaces the show with reruns of Neighbours from the 1980s. Neighbours rates higher.


***


Would people want to watch you write? Or do you keep all the drama on the page?

2 comments:

  1. Shows about writers are a tricky thing. Usually it's shown in a montage, like in "Shakespeare in Love." They get the boring stuff out of the way and then get the writer back in bed with someone. : p

    There actually was a cable show over here about a group of authors, but never watched it, and can't recall what it was called. QED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh! I wonder if it was an interesting show. I can't imagine that it would be. I don't think writers make for great reality TV.

      You're right. We're more montage material. Us and martial artists...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...