Saturday, April 12, 2014

There will be fans...

In October, I’m going to my first convention as an author. And I’m pretty excited by that. Also, I’m kind of terrified. And not just because I have no idea what’s expected of me. I’m terrified because there will be fans.

Now, fans are lovely people on the internet when they send you emails and say nice things about the stuff you write. But in person? Well, I’m sure in person they’re lovely people as well, but I worry that they might be expecting someone apart from, well, me.


I can do that cheery, friendly thing with strangers. But not for extended periods of time. And I’ve never really believed that “A stranger is just a friend I haven’t met yet.” Um…okay. Well excuse me while I go and get changed into pyjama pants, drink cheap wine on the couch, and belch. Oh, wait, we don’t have that sort of friendship after all? My bad.

Still, I’m very excited to go. I just have to remember to answer to my pseudonym’s name, and not mine.

List of things I would do differently if I had to pick my pseudonym again:

  1. Keep my given name.
  2. That is all.

List of things I am terrified about:

  1. Fans. What if they want to talk to me? What if they don’t?
  2. I am on a panel. Hopefully one about historical fiction. And hopefully with other panel members who actually have interesting things to say.
  3. Being professional. I’m pretty sure I haven’t figured out how to do this yet.
  4. Getting lost in Chicago. Actually, that could be fun.

If anyone has any tips about conventions, about professionalism, or about Chicago, please feel free to share! I’ll be over here practicing signing stuff in my pseudonym’s name, and being quietly thankful I at least picked something that was easy to spell.



2 comments:

  1. You're going to CHICAGO? As an AUTHOR? Wow. Book my ticket now. :-)

    Really, that's awesome. I don't envy you one bit, of course, but still - awesome.

    Here's a great collection of tips on being on an author panel.

    http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2006/09/conference-tips.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those tips are very good! Thankyou!

    I will be printing them out and studying them :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...